Friday, September 3, 2010

Introducing Arlynn Cook

My name is Arlynn Cook, I was born in Northern California, inland from the Bay area. My father was in the military so when I was 5 we moved to Colorado. Four years later he got orders to ship to Germany so my mom and I moved to Escondido to be close to my grandparents, that was back in 1980 and I have been here ever since. My school experience was not that great until I attended Palomar College and received my AA in 1991. My husband and I were teenage friends, but we officially started dating the day I graduated from high school. We got married and had three children so my education was put on hold. My oldest, Justin 19 is now at Palomar working toward his nursing degree, Daniel 17 is a senior at Orange Glen High School and is on the road to UCSD, and my daughter, Alyssa 13 is an 8th grader at Bear Valley Middle School. After my kids became a bit older I finally decided on what I would like to do for a career, so I went back to school to work toward my teaching credential and here I am. My favorite place is the desert, specifically Ocotillo Wells, we have been taking our family to Ocotillo Wells for many years. And during desert season, October to May, we try and go at least once a month. All of my children learned to ride motorcycles at a very young age and I have a dune buggy. It is a whole lot of FUN!




Since I grew up in the 80's technology for me meant school papers on a word processor, music on the go was AA batteries and many tapes, I still needed change to make a phone call, and personal computers had green screens. I have to admit I am slow in learning and keeping up with today's technology. My daughter helps me navigate Face book, I didn't have a cell phone until I was in my early 30's and only started texting when I got a phone with a keyboard. However, my ipod is awesome! I am hopeful this class will help me gain the much needed skills to be more tech savvy.



The mission statement for the College of Education is very forward thinking. I like the emphasis on diversity, educational equity and lifelong learning. With the NCLB Act I believe education has taken a huge step backward. While Math and Reading are very important they should not be the sole focus for education, students need to experience science and social studies as well as learn how to nurture their physical and emotional well being. Through such a forward thinking program and training I hope to contribute to furthering education reform in a positive direction to include a well rounded curriculum.



My blog address:



mrscookies422.blogspot.com

6 comments:

  1. Hi Arlynn! It is really interesting reading about how you had to change school and move because your father served in the military. I don't think people realize how much military families have to put up with when it comes to moving and creating a family dynamic that is cohesive for children and their education. I also didn't have a good outlook on schooling until I attended college. The fact that you are in school and a mom and a wife is something that your children can definitely aspire to! Congratulations! See you in class! -Kaytlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arlynn. I am totally on the same boat with you when it comes to technology. I only know the BASICS. I am also slow with keeping up the advancement with technology. I am really excited about our 422 class and hopefully we will both become pros with technology.
    I agree that schools should focus on sciences and social studies. I notice if you ask students what is their favorite subject, it is every subject other than science and social studies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arlynn it is all about the sciences, my sister is a physics major here at the Cal State San Marcos and I admire her for that, a thumbs up to you for knowing what you want and standing up to get it. Keep pursuing higher learning. I think the Tech Tools class will be a great immersion into the digital world, I'm hoping to become digitally cultured. Have fun on the dune buggy this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Arlynn, I am right there with you on the mission statement and that every student deserves equal rights in and out of the classroom. I also like how you said that kids need to learn about their physical and emotional side of their well being.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Arlynn. Congratulations on getting back into school and pursuing your credentials. As a mother, I have respect for anyone with a family who is attending school. Its hard work to balance a family, and homework. However, your older kids might be able to help you with homework, especially with this class! I think that's pretty awesome. I love the desert too; cheers to making family memories. Good luck with your family and this class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Arlynn,

    i think its awesome that you and your family go out to Ocotillo Wells so often. Personally i love going out there. I love to take my truck out there, i drive off the free way and just keep going until i can no longer hear the the freeway and i am as far away from society as i think i can get and then i set up camp and cook hot dogs and watch the stars its fantastic out there! dont worry too much about technology, this class will help you get used to it in no time!

    cheers!

    David.

    ReplyDelete