Tuesday, December 7, 2010

My Personal Learning Network Journal #7

NETS-V Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership
Educators need to continuously grow, explore new ideas and model lifelong learning. One way to seek new information is through a Personal Learning Network which is a customized group of resources gathered from different technological tools.


 A Personal Learning Network (PLN) is a customized group of resources gathered from different technological tools such as Twitter, Delicious or Wikis.  A PLN allows the educational community to collaboratively share information, knowledge, lesson plans, or new pedagogy locally or globally.  I started my Personal Learning Network by subscribing to Classroom 2.0; adding and following education related forums and chats on Twitter; using Delicious Bookmarking website.  My Personal Learning Network is designed to assemble many different educational resources in one place that can be easily accessed and expanded based on my personal interests.  As a future educator I will continue to grow my PLN and participate in my network community.  I will seek opportunities implement the information and knowledge gathered from my PLN to directly improve student learning.   

My twitter account consists mostly of Educational Websites.  The Websites include the National Endowment for Humanities, US Department of Education, National Association of Elementary Schools, NEA media, and The National Middle School Association.  I am also following our edchat422 and will add teachers as I grow my twitter network.  I originally chose to add the website to stay current in the educational community. 

My delicious bookmarks follow the same format as my twitter account.  I have tagged websites such as the Websites for students: 10 Learning Tools, Google for Educators, Smithsonian Education Website, NEA achievement gaps, and multiple intelligences.  I didn’t search for anything specific because I wanted to explore broad ideas.  In the future I will narrow the searches as I become more familiar with the networking tools. 

 I joined the digital forum Classroom 2.0.  Within the website I followed the blog link Most Popular Blog Posts By John Costilla.  On his post he had 100 best youtube videos for teachers list provided by SmartTeaching.org.  This list included videos for History, Science, Language, Art, Inspiration, Classroom Management, How To’s and Guides, Technology and Humor.  I watched a video made by Steve Spangler, How to be an amazing teacher.  He demonstrated different activities that would amaze and engage elementary students.  I look forward to exploring other videos on this blog page.  When I incorporate technology into my classroom I will use some of the videos in my lesson plans.   

No comments:

Post a Comment